The Inaugural Wai Wine Weekend
Winegrowers from Wairarapa and Waiheke Island gathered in Martinborough on the 30th September 2023 for the inaugural cooperative event featuring the two regions.
Six Waiheke vineyards had representation in person with another nine sending wines to be presented during the weekend. Each of the six Waiheke vineyards was allocated a cellar door in Martinborough.
Despite a stormy weather start to the day, the turnout was a hit, with wine writers Cameron Douglas and Aaron Basher adding a sense of prestige to the occasion.
After the Celllar door tastings to the public, the wine makers from the two regions gathered for a friendly wine-tasting event. The Martinborough winemakers rated the Waiheke and these were the results:
Results on the day
- Top Martinborough Red – Escarpment Pinot Noir was a clear favourite with Luna Silver River Pinot
- Noir and On Giants Shoulders Pinot Noir a distant second equal.
- Top Martinborough White – A tight fought race with Palliser Chardonnay just edging out Poppies
- Gewürztraminer. Grava Sauv Blanc, Nga Waka Chardonnay and Stad KO Chardonnay tied for third.
- Top Waiheke Red – Kennedy Point Reserve Syrah was a clear favourite, with Passage Rock Magnus (or was it Cabernet Sauvignon blend) and Stonyridge Pilgrim tied for second.
- Top Waiheke White – Another close fought white shoot out. Passage Rock Viognier just edging out
- Stormwood Chardonnay in second and Obsidian Chardonnay third.
Here’s to next year’s event, with the Wairarapa wine growers joining in on the fun on Waiheke island!